Monday, July 2, 2012

Elevator Equality for All

I work on the 5th floor of my building.  Technically it is really the 6th floor, because there is a floor A, then it starts with the actual floors 1, 2, 3, 4, and finally 5.  I take the B elevators to the fifth floor most days.  I say most because some days I take the stairs because I remember a comment made to me one time by a friends Dad that elevators were just a waste of energy.  But on days that I can't seem to muster up the energy to walk those flights of stairs I take the elevator and boy am I grateful for it. 

On the elevator there is a certain heirarchy of importance.  You see as you step on the elevator at work you never want to be the one to be riding the shortest distance.  I can always take a certain pride in punching the 5 button because that means I am more entitled to the elevator than the person riding to the 3rd floor.  Those 4th floor kids, they have a lot pride when they step in and hit the 4 because they know just how difficult it is for them to be beat, unfortanately for them it can be done and I do it often. 

Today's post though goes out to the one floor rider.  One measley floor.  Come on we have all done it.  You just can't bring yourself to the stairs that day because you are too tired.  So you just think i'll just hop on the elevator.  I know i've been there.  And i'll definitely be there again.  Probably this week for that matter, maybe. 

The other day there was a guy who got on the elevator holding a lot of stuff.  I was headed down from the fifth floor when the elevator stopped on the third floor, the man stepped in, and punched the two button.  Just to settle the matter he turned to me and said "usually i'm not this lazy, but it's hard to carry all this stuff down the stairs."  I laughed about it, and said don't worry it's not like I make terrible judgmental comment about every person who hops on the elevator just to go one floor.  He turns to me and says I sure do.  Why can't you just take the stairs buddy?  You have interrupted my whole elevator riding experience just so you can go up or down one floor.  With that the elevator opened and he stepped off.  I was still laughing as the elevator door closed.

So today is for elevator awareness, to everyone.  Because there will always be a time that we are all one floor riders.  


No comments: